Driving on the beaches

  • The most important driving tip we can share with travellers: STAY LEFT. 
  • Australia is very strict on the use of seat belts, with the onus on the driver to make sure every passenger is wearing a seatbelt or restraint. 
  • It is illegal to use a hand-held mobile phone while driving, also applying to when the vehicle
  • is stationary. 
  • Drivers are strictly policed, with zero tolerance for those driving under the influence of alcohol
  • or drugs. The blood alcohol limit is 0.05% for full licence holders. Learner and provisional drivers must not drive after they have consumed any alcoholic drinks or foods containing alcohol.
  • Police conduct Random Drugand Alcohol (RBT) roadside testing in NSW. Every police car is a
  • mobile RBT.
  • Some motorways, bridges and tunnels in Sydney require payment of tolls, which can only be paid electronically with an eTag. 
  • Make sure you keep your eyes out for SCHOOL ZONES, operating from Monday to Friday, 8am-9:30am and 2:30pm-4pm, where drivers strictly must travel 40km/hr. 
  • There are two types of speed limit signs – regulatory and advisory speed signs:
  • Speed sign showing ‘50’ inside a red circle 
  • Regulatory speed limit signs have a white background with the speed limit shown inside
  • a red circle.
  • Advisory speed signs have a yellow background. These signs indicate the recommended maximum speed in good driving conditions for the average car. These signs are generally placed before curves, bends and crests
  • It is illegal to drive faster than the posted speed limit.
  • The default urban speed limit is 50 km/hour. Some major roads have limits of 60, 70 or
  • 80 km/hour.
  • A local traffic area is an area of local streets that have a speed limit of 40 km/hour.
  • For major roads outside city areas and major freeways, the default speed limit is 100/110 km/hour. 
  • When entering a roundabout, give way to cars coming from the right. 
  • At two way stop signs, you must come to a complete stop. 
  • Remember that pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way, so always stay alert to avoid an accident. 
  • As an international visitor, you can drive in Australia with your foreign licence if it is in English. If not, you will need to attain an International Drivers Permit from your home country. 

All of Sydney’s toll roads are fully cashless now and that means you need to pay with an electronic tag or pass. There is a range of electronic tag and pass products available through different providers. Each provider may apply different charges, deposits and top-up amounts.

All drivers in Sydney are required to pay tolls on certain roads and these rates sometimes differ depending on the time. Hire cars will often be fitted with ETags and if not the car registration is photographed and a fine is sent to the owner of the vehicle plus an additional admin fee.

The various ETag companies have different solutions for temporary visitors to Sydney and NSW.

Transurban Linkt offers a Tagless account for occasional visitors to pay Sydney and other Australian state tolls. This Tagless account lets you use the toll roads with no tag, no up-front credit, no expiry and you simply pay-as-you-go. To open a Tagless account or for more info go to: www.linkt.com.au. Or call 13 76 26, 8am-8pm, 7 days

Roam Visitor’s e-PASS is for short term travel and is valid for up to 30 days only. Again no tag is required and you are charged a matching fee or $0.75 per trip. Start up fees are as little as $1.50. You have the flexibility of unlimited travel within 30 days and payments are automatically debited from your credit card. For more information visit: www.roam.com.au/before-you-travel/visitors-e-pass. Or call 13 86 55, 8am-8pm, 7 days

eMU Pass is a casual pass to pay for travel on Sydney toll roads for up to 30 days. Like the Roam Visitor’s e-PASS you have unlimited travel in 30 days with a video processing fee
of $0.75 per trip. You can extend your pass stay and payments are made on your nominated credit card. For more information visit: www.myrta.com. Or 13 18 65, 8am-5pm Monday-Friday / 8am-12pm Saturday

As you travel through a toll point, your electronic tag will make a beeping noise so you know the trip has been recorded. Different electronic tag products make different noises. If the tag fails to beep as you pass through the toll point, you may have a problem and should contact your provider for more information.