The Redback Spider is instantly recognisable from the vivid red marking found on the back of the female of the species. This highly venomous spider usually makes its home in sheltered, out-of-the-way areas, and is only dangerous if provoked. Only the female Redback bites. A bite from a Redback can potentially be fatal, particularly for the very young or for the elderly. Symptoms include nausea and vomiting, pain and muscle spasms, fever and sweating, and restlessness. Seek medical attention promptly as there is an effective anti-venom. There have been no deaths in Australia from a confirmed spider bite since 1979, and none from a Redback Spider since the anti-venom was introduced in 1956.